toyota forums   toyota forums

Go Back   Toyota Forum > Toyota Forums (Toyota SUVs) > Toyota Highlander Forum

Notices

Toyota Forum: 2013 Highlander Radio Reception

Old 05-22-2017, 12:35 AM

Unhappy 2013 Highlander Radio Reception

I'm the 2nd owner & I've own for about 1.5 yrs, and I've always had bad radio (FM) reception. I have XM on the radio too and it's Entune enabled, so I've got the NAV system and back-up camera built-in. Hopefully, that tells you the type of OEM radio I have.

There's no visible antenna on the SUV other than a small black unit (smaller than a pack of cigarettes) on the top-back roof, not a stubby antenna, not even a "shark fin."

I finally stopped by the Toyota dealer last week and asked the service guy if he could confirm to me if that was the radio _and_ XM antenna (he said 'yes') and if Toyota had any audio system firmware updates that could be uploaded (he said 'no').

I can't drive around town without my local FM radio stations fading and fuzzing in-n-out. Does anyone else suffer from that kind of problem??

If so, is there an economical fix? Would a simple FM signal booster or amplifier be worth the trouble? Amazon reviews are mixed.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:38 AM

Howdy! I'm not a FM guy but we have good receptions around here. I believe those FM boosters are worth trying.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:35 PM

Thanks, diggin90, for your input.

I was hoping to hear from a Toyota service person who might be familiar with this problem. Specifically, I was wondering if I could swap my roof-top antenna for another unit from a different year Highlander that doesn't have that problem, or where the problem was fixed, say, the 2014 or 2015 year model.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:14 AM

You may want to look for a good unit with good reviews.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:07 PM

Well, not to beat a dead horse...it looks like there have been a lot of "reads" of this post, but no one seems to have my same problem, so it must just be me.

However, I do need to correct something in my original post, which I discovered this weekend after pulling the rear paneling out of my 2013 Highlander, working on something else.

Quote:
There's no visible antenna on the SUV other than a small black unit (smaller than a pack of cigarettes) on the top-back roof, not a stubby antenna, not even a "shark fin."

I finally stopped by the Toyota dealer last week and asked the service guy if he could confirm to me if that was the radio _and_ XM antenna (he said 'yes')
As it turns out, the small, black unit on the top-back roof is only the satellite receiver. There are DUAL FM antennas embedded in the rear left & right side glass. So, I was a bit surprised that the Toyota service folks didn't know that. Hmmmm.

Anyway, I checked all the radio connections and wiring back there and everything looked pristine and untouched. So there you go.

Summary & takeaway:
• There are no radio firmware updates.
• Radio antennas are embedded in rear side glass
• There are dual antennas
• Toyota service personnel don't know everything about their own vehicles

Tags
radio, radio reception