toyota forums   toyota forums

Go Back   Toyota Forum > Toyota Forums (Toyota Cars) > Toyota Camry Forum

Toyota Forum: Blue smoke from old valve stem seals - Any additives/oil advice

Old 08-21-2011, 09:24 PM

Default Blue smoke from old valve stem seals - Any additives/oil advice

I just got my first Camry. A 1999 3.0 V6 in purple [it's sooo not purple, and sooo lilac!] - Yay!

So I have blueish smoke coming from the exhaust at start up that lasts for about 10-15 seconds.

I tested for condensation [it's not wet to touch], and have check the filler cap and dip-stick - both clean and the oil is very clear. I figure this means the head gasket is ok.

That [I think] means the issue is probably coming from the valve stem seals hardening and allowing a small drop or 3 through into the cylinders.

My question is, firstly, am I missing something obvious? ; and secondly what do you guys recommend using to prolong the life of the seals - Oils or additives for example?

The Camry has 97000 miles on the clock and cost 1200. I don't have the money to get the valves replaced as I assume that would be very expensive - any ideas on how much that would cost [in the UK]?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:06 AM

Infrequent oil changes will cause dirty oil to get by the valve seals. Oil and filter change every 3k miles does wonders