toyota forums   toyota forums

Go Back   Toyota Forum > Toyota Forums (Toyota Cars) > Toyota Supra Forum

Toyota Forum: I want to rebuild the engine to a 1993 Toyota Supra what engine parts need to...

Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Default I want to rebuild the engine to a 1993 Toyota Supra what engine parts need to...

...be replaced? And where is a good place to search for parts?
the car used to be my brothers but the engine is isn't functioning properly and our mechanic says the smartest thing to do is rebuild it...it has given my brother many problems he has spent over 2 grand on parts cause the car kept breaking down

Well some info would be nice. i would go to auto zone or O'rileys (i go too both). There are alot of parts to an engine and when rebuilding one, alot of the time only a few parts need to be replaced. Such as the crankshaft, piston, connecting rods, bearings, valves, etc. If you want to completely rebuild it your looking at quite a bit of money. But you would be replacing the whole thing along with possibly reboring your cylinders to make them smooth again (or bigger for more hp), cleaning the engine, replacing the crank, the bearings, rods, pistons, valves, valve springs, cams, head gasket, oil pump, water pump (you should always replace the water pump with such a job), spark plugs etc. It all depends on how far you want to go. You can go all out and replace the parts with racing parts (forged steel) such as a racing cams, borning out the valve seats, steel crankshaft, performance pistons and rods etc.

The cylinders will probably have to be honed or bored out. It depends on how good of shape they are in. If I was you, I would do it right the first time, so you dont have to worry about tearing it down again in the future. I would just bore it out and get new pistons and rings, push rods, lifters, and a new timing chain. I would also have the crankshaft and cam shaft looked at. I would also have the heads looked at and see if they need work. It the engine has alot of miles on it, or has been ran hot, you will most likely need to have them rebuilt. I would either go to a mechanic and see how much a rebuild kit is and I would go to parts stores and just see whats cheaper. You can get the whole kit with everything in it. For my 89 chevy, it was 250-300 bucks for the kit. Good luck!

The cylinders will probably have to be honed or bored out. It depends on how good of shape they are in. If I was you, I would do it right the first time, so you dont have to worry about tearing it down again in the future. I would just bore it out and get new pistons and rings, push rods, lifters, and a new timing chain. I would also have the crankshaft and cam shaft looked at. I would also have the heads looked at and see if they need work. It the engine has alot of miles on it, or has been ran hot, you will most likely need to have them rebuilt. I would either go to a mechanic and see how much a rebuild kit is and I would go to parts stores and just see whats cheaper. You can get the whole kit with everything in it. For my 89 chevy, it was 250-300 bucks for the kit. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2015, 06:11 AM

Nice suggestion wrote about to rebuild this car.These are the major changing which you have to done with your car.Other than this you can put any of other specification according to your choice.I like this model so much.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
...be replaced? And where is a good place to search for parts?
the car used to be my brothers but the engine is isn't functioning properly and our mechanic says the smartest thing to do is rebuild it...it has given my brother many problems he has spent over 2 grand on parts cause the car kept breaking down
You can still find Genuine OEM Toyota parts for your Supra on https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/ . Start by entering your VIN and searching their online catalog. The search bar feature helps out a ton after entering your VIN. Hope this helps.