toyota forums   toyota forums

Go Back   Toyota Forum > Toyota Forums (Toyota Cars) > Toyota Tercel Forum

Notices

Toyota Forum: 1981 Tercel Hatchback

Old 05-06-2017, 11:17 PM

Default 1981 Tercel Hatchback

Hi. I live in California and my Tercel is the only car I've ever owned. Since 2013 I have not been able to pass smog. The latest smog test says:
NO (PPM):
15 mph Max 1248 Ave 419 Meas 2199 - Fail
(the 25 mph test barely made it - Max 1078 Ave 150 Meas 1072)
I've taken it to two different shops in the last few years and they both indicate the TVSV part is bad. So I order the part, the shops put it in, still doesn't pass. The second part this year worked a little bit, but not enough to pass.
I recently had the spark plug wires (and other stuff related) replaced (due to a surging/shuttering problem) and also the water pump. I found out Thursday that the shop that did the work either did a JB weld or epoxied the TVSV part to the housing! So I've got that shop looking for a new housing in case they take the TVSV part off and break the housing, I won't be out of commission for any length of time.
Anybody have any ideas if this is the correct course of action to be taking? Any other part that could be causing this?
Anything I can tell the shops to try to fix it?
Could having the water pump and spark plug pieces replaced help me pass smog?
Could having the TVSV part welded to the housing help to pass smog?
Thanks (and please know that I don't know much about engines)