toyota forums   toyota forums

Go Back   Toyota Forum > Toyota Forums (Toyota Vans) > Toyota Previa Forum

Notices

Toyota Forum: Previa stalling when warm

Old 02-11-2017, 09:45 PM

Default Previa stalling when warm

Looking for some ideas on my stalling problem. '94 Previa, runs smoothly for a while, 10 - 15 minutes, until engine stalls when warm. There isn't any rhyme or reason, I can be going slowly, or at speed, 55-60. It will shut off, then restart either right away (like a coughing) or after a few cranks. It will then run fine for 10 mins or more without anything. It doesn't stall at idle. Took it to local mechanic who said it needs a head gasket. It never overheated. It had very minor amount of gasses present in the water. Replaced the thermostat, and had some "Magic Sauce" put in to seal the gasket. Now there are no bubbles in the overflow tank and it doesn't use water or overheat. We bled the system really well, cleared out the plugged intake on the overflow, and flushed the "sauce" out and replaced with Toyota antifreeze. The stalling problem was resolved for a few days then it came back. I priced out a head gasket job, and replacing the motor, and so I'm looking for a cheaper fix for now. I'm not certain it needs the gasket yet. Can a head leak cause the intermittent stalling?
I read somewhere that these have a sensor that shuts off the motor if overheating is detected, even though it may read normal and thermo is good???
Feels like a fuel issue, but why so intermittently? Could a fuel pump, filter, or sending unit behave like this? How about computer/electrical? Any and all help is much appreciated.

Tags
fuel filter, fuel pump, head gasket, previa, stalling