toyota forums   toyota forums

Go Back   Toyota Forum > Toyota Forums (Toyota Cars) > Toyota Tercel Forum

Notices

Toyota Forum: 1989 Tercel Multiple Issues - EGR, Sputtering...

Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 AM

Default 1989 Tercel Multiple Issues - EGR, Sputtering...

Hey everyone - glad I found this forum. I posted over at Tercelonline, but haven't heard much yet and then found you guys.

I have an '89 tercel I bought new. Had to get a rebuilt carburetor and now I am having issues with dieseling, sputtering on deceleration, and hard to start when cold. Also have a code 71 check engine light. Mechanic has tried adjusting different settings on the carburetor and this is better then where it was before (when it passed smog). Now I don't think it would pass smog, but at least it doesn't cut out so much at stop signs....usually just when warming up. Once it is warm, it runs pretty steady, just the dieseling problem. Mechanic thinks it might be the catalytic converter.

Regarding the Check Engine, he thinks it might be the EGR temperature sensor. As that is a $90 part (cheapest I could find....RockAuto), I am a little hesitant to just replace that unless I am going to see any improvement.

So...questions for the group:

Does anyone know what are the signs of a bad EGR Temperature Sensor and what improvements I might see on the above items if I replace it?
Any suggestions on adjustments to the carburetor to improve performance (and maintain smog requirements)?
Any thoughts as to the sputtering?

Car often smells like gas.

I bought this car new shortly after I learned to drive, so am quite attached to it. I don't think I have to explain myself to this group, but I have had many people tell me to get a new car. I also don't want to add unnecessarily to global warming, hence my desire to keep emissions in check.

Grateful for any thoughts

Old 12-11-2016, 05:52 AM

I would first check that there are no leaks at the EGR valve itself. Did you only get code 71 or 25 also (implying a vacuum leak)? The temperature sensor is like an oxygen sensor and they do wear out with time since they are exposed to hot gases. the sure way to know is to measure its resistance when cold and when hot and compared to spec. Dont use gasket glue on metal gaskets, I have seen these at the junkyards where I can tell people tried that. It just makes things worst. The metal by itself is the only way.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:54 AM

AS for the gas smell it could be the charcoal canister. There is a hose at the bottom that leads where fresh air comes in. Make sure nothing is obstructing it.