View Full Version : 1993 Previa, Exhaust stutter with grey smoke.. honeycomb chunks observed from exhaust

Sam1993Previa
01-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi everyone,

Sorry about the fairly non technical explanation but it was the best I could describe it!

When the engine is started and rev'd the exhaust sounds lumpy and stutters.. a lot of smoke then follows from the exhaust but the engine sounds a bit smoother after a few minutes..

When taken on the road there is a distinct lack of power but sometimes the power kicks back in randomly at higher revs..

Whilst rev'ing on the driveway honeycomb chunks were spat out from the exhaust. I'm assuming that these are parts of the catalytic converter..

Would replacing the cat solve the power and stutter issues?

Me and some mates bought this car to travel around Europe but I don't think it would make it out of England in it's current state!!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Sam

Silverbullet
02-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi everyone,

Sorry about the fairly non technical explanation but it was the best I could describe it!

When the engine is started and rev'd the exhaust sounds lumpy and stutters.. a lot of smoke then follows from the exhaust but the engine sounds a bit smoother after a few minutes..

When taken on the road there is a distinct lack of power but sometimes the power kicks back in randomly at higher revs..

Whilst rev'ing on the driveway honeycomb chunks were spat out from the exhaust. I'm assuming that these are parts of the catalytic converter..

Would replacing the cat solve the power and stutter issues?

Me and some mates bought this car to travel around Europe but I don't think it would make it out of England in it's current state!!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Sam
Your catalytic convertor has gone away for the duration. Those chunks are melted as well? they are the actual caty element. Having it grenade like that will cause the symptoms you describe. Replace,and hope that it doesn't cost as much as it does in the States!