View Full Version : i have a 1996 toyota previa i have a problem with the gear change can any one...

steve j
11-05-2007, 07:12 PM
...help me? i have a 1996 n reg toyota previa 2.4 gl auto uk model and the engine went on it . so i changed the engine and box used my gearbox and my wiring but the engine i used came out off a 1993 toyota previa but all the switches etc were the same . it starts and drives fine but it changes the gear at 5000 revs which it wasnt doing before . on the throttle body there is a clip with 4 wires if you disconnnect that then the gears work fine but not the overdrive i have changed the gearbox as well and still doing the same does anyone outther no what it could be the wiring on the throttle body is called tps wiring . please help me some one i am desperate

klberry212
11-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Transmissions have programed shift point. They can be changed.(Adjusted) I would have it checked out by a good tranny mechinic.

JoeDynamo
12-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Maybe the the throttle position sensor needs checking or replacement, I believe you can use one off a Camry as well (I cross referenced the part number and they are the same for the 4 cylinder motor, just in case you're a junkyard dog like me).

johngypsy
12-23-2012, 07:43 AM
its a little late responce!
but, its not your gear box! its your cooling temperature guage, the computer sends a signal to your transmission to go into o/d (overdrive) when its warmed up, most to all people think the transmission is bad? ( gear box ) but its not,
all your gears work fine? shifts all 3 gears? your reverse also goes with out any issues?
than your gear box is fine, just replace the thermostat in the cooling housing, it sound crazy? right? but thats your problem with it,

once u take care of that, its done, and also bleed the system on the radiator if the thermostat is fine, ( air in system ) hoses, water pump, ect.....
hope this helps!

johngypsy
12-23-2012, 07:57 AM
sorry, i thought it was your overdrive issue, but shift points can be changed from a lab top, or a programmer, like a performance type, it helps with dialing in your shift points, tire size, and will also make the timing advanced also, but alls you need is a program to do so, any trans shop will do this for under 100 dollars, which is hi in price, but it has to be done, or? did you ever hear of b & m shift kits? they have a reverse one for it, but make calls, do more reserce out there, call auto part stores and ask them for people who do this type of trans shift points, its not a big problem, but i know it could be frustrating to have the van jerk like that!
hope this helps!